Online Math Placement Assessment Instructions
PLEASE NOTE: You must be admitted to Kent State University in order to take the online math placement assessment (ALEKS), and you will not be permitted to attend SOAR (Student Orientation, Advising and Registration) until you have completed all required placement assessments. Transfer students who have taken college-level math should contact the University before completing the assessment. Please call 330-339-3391 if you need more information.
Follow the instructions below to complete the ALEKS online math placement assessment from home. If you prefer to take the assessment on campus, please report to the Network Services Help Desk located on the second floor of Founders Hall during the following hours:
Tuesdays, 9 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Fridays, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
(No appointment necessary. Allow 90 minutes to complete the ALEKS assessment.)
STEP 1: Log in to FlashLine
- To log into FlashLine for the first time, click on the FlashLine Login at the top right of your screen.
- Your FlashLine User Name and Kent State ID Number are listed on your acceptance letter.
- For more information about logging in to FlashLine, click "Get User Name and Login Help" on the FlashLine login box.
Your initial password consists of information that only you know. The format for your initial 10-character password is: mmmyyxxxxx (all lower case)
1. mmm = the first three letters of your birth month (ex. April = apr)
2. yy = the last two digits of your birth year
3. xxxxx = the last five digits of your Kent State ID Number
Name: Joseph R. Student
User Name: jstudent
Date of Birth: June 30, 1990
Kent State ID Number: 810116812
Initial Password: jun9016812
After logging in, you will be prompted to change your password. Your new password must be comprised of at least eight characters, using a combination of upper and lower case letters and numbers. Note that your FlashLine password is case sensitive.
Remember your new password!
STEP 2: Take online math placement assessment
- Once logged into FlashLine, select "Student Tools & Courses" from the main menu.
- To the right, you will see a Placement Assessment block.
- You are required to take the ALEKS Math Placement only.
- Contact ALEKS Support (below) if you have problems accessing the math placement.
- The math placement assessment should take 60-90 minutes to complete.
- Your placement results will be discussed with you at SOAR.
The use of ALEKS requires installation of the ALEKS plug-in. The plug-in should install on your computer automatically the first time you access the ALEKS site. If you have trouble installing the plug-in, visit www.aleks.com/faqs/technical.
STEP 3: Schedule SOAR or COMPASS
- You CANNOT attend SOAR without first completing all required placement assessments as described below.
- If you are transferring from another university, call 330-339-3391 to determine what, if any, placement assessments you must complete and when you are eligible to attend SOAR.
- If you are under 21 years old and have submitted ACT scores, call 330-339-3391 to schedule a date to attend SOAR where you will learn your placement results, become oriented to the University and schedule your first-semester classes.
- If you are over 21 years old, call 330-339-3391 to schedule a date to take the COMPASS assessment for reading and writing placement. You will be directed to SOAR only AFTER you have taken both assessments (online math and COMPASS).